Monday, November 03, 2008

Beware of Traffic Patterns

While I’ve mentioned in the past that you should be aware of certain dates when planning your wedding – holidays, Super Bowl Sunday – you should also be aware of events happening in the community that may “interfere” with your wedding day.

Yesterday was the NYC Marathon and if your wedding was held near any of the streets that were blocked off – including the Verrazano Bridge – your guests, as well as yourself and your vendors, may have had trouble getting to the ceremony and/or reception locations.

Two years ago I got stuck on the wrong side of the NYC Marathon. I went to a yoga class in Williamsburg at 10am and when I parked the car and walked over to the class there were no barriers or crowds of people that would have tipped me off that the marathon runs thru the neighborhood. By the time I got out of the class an hour later the marathon was in full swing and running right down the street I needed to cross to get to my car. After waiting over 30 minutes I decided to make a run for it and literally jogged across the crowd to get to the other side of the street.

My point – be aware of any street festivals, parades and other events that may close off streets and disrupt normal traffic patterns. Your city or town’s chamber of commerce should have a list of upcoming events so you can notify guests of better directions.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin