Thursday, August 14, 2008

Are Wedding Garters Still in Style?


In the last 10 years, I think I’ve been to 50 weddings, and of that 50, maybe five to ten brides included the garter toss at their reception.

I’ve seen very wild grooms literally put their heads up the bride’s dress and remove the garter with their teeth. And I’ve also seen brides just give the groom a tossing garter. Similar to having a tossing bouquet specifically for the tossing ceremony.

I know garters are still a big part of a bride's wedding day attire, but I don’t think I wore one, though I did receive one at my shower.

I found this crazy site with the wildest collection of garters, appropriately named, garters.com, and then wondered why, after spending $40 or more on a garter, would you just throw it away, so a bunch of crazy single guys can dive on the dance floor for it? Or would you buy a less fancy one for the toss?

The garter featured here is $14.99 at Target. I was really surprised (in a good way) at the selection they had.

But I guess my main question is: Are you/Would you/Did you have the garter toss at your wedding? And if the answer’s yes, are there any rules you have set: Your groom can’t use his mouth or hands? The song has to be…

Just wondering.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin