Monday, April 05, 2010

Asking Dad for Permission

I don't know why but I was thinking about the TV show Little House on the Prairie this evening and I thought, "I have to do a blog post, is there something from Little House that could inspire me." And of course there was!

I don't know how familiar you are with the series but Laura falls in love with Almonzo who is several years older than her and finally, he falls in love with her and wants to marry her.  Before they can marry he has to get her Pa's permission.  Manly, as she calls him, asks Mr. Ingalls if he can marry his daughter and he says yes but they have to wait two years till she's 16 or 18 - I forget which one.

Anyway, Manly says that he doesn't want to wait and leaves Walnut Grove.  Very long story short, Mr. Ingalls finally says they only have to wait a year.

It's an outdated tradition to have your father's permission to marry and I think most grooms won't ask dad for his permission but rather his blessing.  I think my dad was a little upset that Dave didn't talk to him before proposing because once he said something under his breath.  Maybe I should have told Dave that he should talk to my dad before proposing because it didn't occur to him to do that.

If you think your dad would like to be "asked" before you get engaged make sure to say something to your future groom, and if you're already engaged and he didn't talk to your dad, maybe your groom can take the initiative and plan an outing with your dad so the two of them can get to know each other better.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin