Wednesday, January 07, 2009

What’s With the Acronyms?

I’ve been meaning to write this post for months. I understand that we type in codes: LOL (until last week my dad thought it meant lots of luck and not laugh out loud), BTW (by the way), LMO (laughing my @$$ off), G2G (got to go – thanks Cari!) and BRB (be right back).

In the world of weddings it’s much quicker to type or write MOB/MOG (mother of the bride/groom), MOH (maid of honor) or BM (bridesmaid) but to speak it? Is our world going so fast that we can’t say three simple words, or even just one word?

I guess it’s weird for me to complain about it but I just find it so odd when someone says, “I called my MOG the other day and she is driving me crazy!” Or something like, “I’ll ask my MOH to do that.” And what I find really strange is that people don’t always speak with the initials. They sound it out.

If you’re going to use wedding acronyms when talking to people say the initials, don’t sound out the word: It’s M-O-H, not moh. It’s M-O-G, not mog.

I think what set me off is that I’ve been hearing the terms in the media lately as if they are part of the English language and they’re not. But then again, I’m probably one of the few people that text messages in complete sentences.

TTYL,
anne

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin